Monday, December 1, 2008

Thing #22 Facebook

Well I never would have created a Facebook account on my own. I will more than likely delete my account in about a week. I just feel too..exposed. I like the idea of a blog because you have a little more control over who gets access to your writings/pictures personal information. I really didn't give that much information about myself. Information such as address and email address was MOST DEFINITELY not going to be provided. Call me paranoid, but these are scary times and I don't want to invite trouble. I think that for the younger generation, it is a wonderful way to stay in touch with all your friends that have gone off to school. I think it is even great for singles who are trying to make that love connection. But for anyone else...I think blogging is the safer alternative.

On a personal level, as a parent, I think this is something we all should familiarize ourselves with. I think we should help our kids sign up (when/if the time is right), in order to make sure they are using Facebook/MySpace in the safest possible way.

The only educational advantage I can think of would be to see what your students are talking about. I don't know or understand how you could find their facebook page, because when you sign up (if you are honest) you are automatically grouped with people you work with or went to school/college with etc. I did not investigate MySpace enough to see if this was the case as well. This really, has been the only Thing that I am not interested in pursuing in any way. But I still found it interesting.
OK...I'm off to make lunches for my kiddos.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Actually, you have less control with a blog because anyone can view it. With Facebook only your friends (which you choose) can view your page.

Unknown said...

Hey Sue- I love facebook cuz I can keep up with Tess and Jess. they are very active on it. I have also reconnected with some Oakridge people and my favorite cousin in Baltimore. I sent you an email invite. Love you. Had a great time reconnecting with you on Thanksgiving and at Northpark. barb